Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Green Challenge #1

If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies.


Green is one of my least favorite colors, but I'm a sucker for challenges and took it upon myself to use green this time ... And boy, was the background green before I painted the stamped images! Eww!! (Sorry, no before-photo. I was in shock after an overdose of grrrreeeen and didn't think of shooting one...)

I made the green background using my home-made ink sprays (reinkers mixed with water) on watercolor paper, then added some pieces of torn tissue paper* for texture on the left side of the background, some stenciling with a chessboard pattern and green Silks Acrylic Glaze from LuminArte (lots of shimmer!), and a stencil with lines on the right side (see close-up photo below).*The tissue paper I added for texture was already green in a variety of hues. When I use ink sprays or paint, I always keep a roll of cheap kitchen paper nearby to dab off the wet areas, wipe of my paint brushes, or to clean my table, and I always, always hang the tissue paper up to dry in case I might need it later ... It's just too colorful and pretty to toss! (Yup, even the green one ...)


The calligraphy stamp is from Quietfire Design. The flower stamps are from Stubby Stampers.
The white dots were made with Artline 400XF PaintMarker. I used to wonder how people made their  perfectly white dots, so I thought I'd let you know what I use, now that I have found one that actually works!

Here's a close-up photo of the lines I made, using a stencil on the right side of the background. The ink sprays produce a matte finish, and I like the contrast between matte and the shimmer from Silks Acrylic Glaze. The stamped images are colored in using Twinkling H2O's (also from LuminArte), which is another lovely shimmer paint (watercolors with mica) that comes in a huge selection of vivid, saturated colors. I'm in luuuuv with H2O's!


The flourishes around the edges (rubber stamp from Cherry Pie) are stamped with Twinkling H2O's. I smeared some H2O's on my work table (my favorite palette) and dabbed the stamp into it to pick up the paint. 


The photos do not do the shimmer of the Silks and H2O's justice. They are truly amazing.

Ribbit, ribbit!


OK... so I've used green. Can I go back to purple, turquoise, and earth tones now, please? Actually, it was quite fun to take a small step outside of my comfort zone,  and you may have noticed the headline: Green Challenge #1, so yes, there will be a #2! After all - if nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies ... so I might as well make a few changes in the colors I use ... and see what happens.

Which is YOUR least favorite color? I dare you to use it and show me the result! ;-)
(Feel free to leave a link to your masterpiece in the comment field)

Oh, and I made a mistake on one of the flowers .... did you notice? (Mistake as in that I forgot something, but I'm going to leave it that way).

Thanks for stamping by!

(And for the first time in history, I will sign off with my name in ... gasp ... green!)

www.naturesprintshop.com
Green rubber stamps???

10 comments:

  1. This is truly amazing! A dreamworld! Oh I love it!
    Hugs
    Gabriele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Gabriele!!

      XOX

      Delete
  2. I didn't know you were anti green. Your spread is wonderful. I love how you created texture by using the different kinds of paint. Very clever. I'm trying to think of a color I don't like... pink and brown as a combo color.. I guess. I'll think on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Boo!! It's funny how one color or color combo can be pleasing to one person and "eww" to another. I love pink and brown together! Would be fun to see you use that :)

      XOX

      Delete
  3. Bibi, such loveliness!!! You have outdone yourself, so pretty. You mentioned everything, except my favorite little creature... the grasshopper! Hehehe, I love him! The colors, the H2Os, the flourishes, the journaling stamp, the white dots... such a wonderful page.

    The mistake was NOT a mistake... it was your quirkiness!

    I think that is funny how you talked about certain people liking/not liking certain colors. Everyone thinks I am nuts for my favorite color. If everyone loved the same color, art would be boring! This page is anything but boring! LOVE!! Hugs, Pamikins

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Pam!! I found that grasshopper stamp when I was looking for a fly stamp (all in the same bag, labeled insects), and ended up not using the fly after all. I can't remember the last time I used the grasshopper, but I think he will appear in my work again pretty soon. He's so cute! (I'm pretty sure April Pedersen is the stamp designer, looks like her style, but I can't remember what company I bought it from).

    You're absolutely right - art would be boring if we all liked the same colors!

    I have started working on yet another green page, so stay tuned ...(I promise I won't be making ONLY green art from now on! No chance of that ever happening ...)

    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  5. So bright and beautiful! Thanks so much for using the stamp! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne! It's always a pleasure to use your beautiful calligraphy stamps! <3

      XOX

      Delete
  6. I think you did a fabulous job with green!!!! The whole thing is very colorful and fabulous!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Wanda!! I am getting more and more comfortable using green after I made this one :-)

      XOX

      Delete